Since this is a FREE EVENT (NO TICKETS NEEDED), we do
not have the manpower to answer all of your questions... here
is a list of the most frequently asked questions:
For info on volunteering, email
For general questions, email
Please help us keep the Park clean-- please pack out with you
what you bring in for the festival!
Here is a list of the most frequently asked questions:
- Q: When/where is it again?
- When: Fri Oct 1st (2pm - 7pm), Sat Oct 2nd (11am - 7pm), and Sun Oct 3rd, 2010 (11am - 7pm).
- Where: Speedway, Lindley & Marx meadows in Golden Gate Park, San Francisco, CA. Read below for a map.
- Q: Camping?
- Sorry, there is no camping allowed.
- Q: What is the schedule?
- The schedule is up! day Check it out here or download your own printable PDFs through the
links on the home page.
- Q: What streets are closed in the park?
- JFK Drive, Transverse Drive and Middle West Drive
- Q: What are we allowed to bring?
- Coolers, blankets,
and short-back chairs are all allowed. Cameras are
ok (no tripods or instrusive equipment please).
There will also be vendors on-site selling food and non-alcoholic
beverages. No alcohol will be for sale in the park, however,
alcohol is allowed as per park rules. PLEASE respect
the park and pick up and take everything with you that
you bring in. There will be a sweep of the park by waste
management each evening (which means no saving spaces
for the following day).
- Q: Will there be food available?
- Yes, there will be over 50 purveys of food and drink featuring
the best festival food the Bay Area has to offer. For a list of
highlights and vendors, click here.
- Q: Dogs?
- Dogs are allowed as per park rules (on leash, etc.)
- Q: Hotels in area?
- Please call the Chamber of Commerce,
use a travel site such as Orbitz or Yahoo Travel, or
contact the San Francisco Convention & Visitors Bureau
for assistance. Visitors can book rooms directly on
or request assistance from the Visitor Information Center
- 415-391-2000 (tollfree at 888-782-9673 (STAY-N-SF)).
- Q: Transportation around the park?
This year we expect the park service to run their shuttle
service. Until we hear confirmation, Here is last year's information you can use as a resource.
See the map below
for a visual on what streets will be closed.
- Q: Getting to the Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Concert by Public Transit?
Receive help with planning your trip to HSB from anywhere
in the Bay Area by dialing 511. Say for "public transportation,"
"transit agencies," then the name of the agency you'd like to use.
The 511 system will then connect you to a live operator. You
can also visit www.511.org
for route and schedule information for any Bay Area
transit agency. The 5 Line (MUNI) will be adding
supplemental services starting at 2pm, boarding at 30th
Here are some additional resources:
Cal Train - web site
BART - web site
MUNI - schedules are accessible through
The closest lines are: 5 Fulton, 31 Balboa, 38 Geary
on the Richmond Side. On the Sunset Side the N-Judah.
You can also check out the
MUNI trip planner.
Next Bus - to find out when the next bus is coming
- Q: Will bike parking be available?
- Yes bike parking is available. We have 3 monitored self
bike parking areas near each meadow - check out our
bike parking map
for detailed locations. In addition
there will be valet bike parking available on Saturday
and Sunday from 10:30 am - 7:30pm. Please note Valet
Bike parking will not be available on Friday. Please
bring your own lock for self-parking! The Valet Bike
Parking sections sometimes fill to capacity - you
will need your own lock to use self-parking.
Please respect the park and refrain from locking bicycles
to trees. For safety concerns bicycles can not ride
down JFK Drive from Transverse to Spreckles Lake.
- Q: What time are we allowed in?
- 10AM entry to the meadows.
- Q: Restroom facilities?
- There will be port-a-potties on site.
- Q: Free Water
- Free water will be available at the drinking fountain
near the Rock Med tent (between Banjo and Arrow stages).
- Q: Medical Attention (Nearest Hospital)
- The nearest hospital is
Health Connection St Mary's Hospital & Medical Center at
450 Stanyan St, San Francisco, CA - (415) 750-5785
- Q: Will compost and Recyling be available?
- Yes compost and recycling is both available and we
encourage you to use to help us move closer to being a
Zero waste event. Please also remember to
pack out what you bring in!.
- Q: Disabled accessibility?
- Yes, there will be a special section reserved at each stage.
Disabled persons can be dropped off at JFK and Transverse.
Disabled PARKING will also be available.
Here is this year's ADA map.
- Q: Festival Etiquette!
- * Please limit the amount of space you use if you
are using tarps or blankets. Share the space you have
so that everyone can see and enjoy the music.
* Please respect the people around you by keeping your
talking volume reasonable so that everyone can hear the
* Please no smoking of any kind - this is a family-friendly
event and smoking is illegal in Golden Gate Park.
* Please respect our neighbors in the Richmond and
Sunset districts - don't block driveways, don't litter,
don't use front or backyards as bathrooms, etc. The
happiness of our neighbors is VITAL to the continued
success of HSB!
* Please do not sell alcohol, drugs, or any sort of
wares - only HSB-approved vendors will be allowed.
* Only officially scheduled performers will be allowed,
please no busking.
* Please pack out anything you bring in to the park.
Recycling and composting will be available - please
make sure to use these services!
* Please do not lock bikes to trees or fences. Valet
and self bike parking will be available - see the bike
- Q: Merchandise?
- We will be selling T-shirts and CDs of most artists.
There are merch booths at the Banjo, Arrow, Star, Towers
of Gold, and Rooster Stages.
Official HSB Merch will be sold at the Banjo Stage Merch Tent.
- Q: ATMs?
- ATMs will be provided and are marked on the 2010 map.
- Q: Lost & Found
- Lost and found is located at all three Info booths (see map)
- Q: Map?
- This year's map is available here.
- Q: Booking?
- We are all finished booking the festival for this year. Submissions for next year will be accepted after Jan. 1, 2011.
- Q: Press inquiries?
- We do not issue press passes. Photography is fine, but no
professional video shooting is allowed due to artist request.
- Q: How can we personally thank Mr. Hellman for this gift to the city?
- There will be a "HSB Scrapbook" at the center
information booth on JFK between Arrow and Rooster
Stages. Please come by and write your comments inside!